Happy Monday! I hope you all had a great weekend. It’s now time to take on another week. Let’s make it great! Today I want to talk about Collagen. It is the most abundant protein in the human body. Collagen is found in the bones, muscles, skin and tendons. It provides structural support and strength and affects the elasticity of the skin and also helps with healing and repair of body tissues. The Health Benefits of Collagen are numerous.
Types of Collagen
This content uses referral links. Read our disclosure policy for more information.
There are at least 16 types of collagen, but 80 – 90 percent of the collagen in the body consists of types I, II, and III which are listed below. I will focus more on Type I collagen since it is considered to be the best for skin and anti-aging purposes.
- Type I: skin, tendon, vascular ligature, organs, bone
- Type II: cartilage
- Type III: fibrous protein in bone, cartilage, dentin, tendon, and other connective tissues
Sources of Collagen
- Piscine (fish)-Collagen peptides from fish are considered to be the best for overall skin and anti-aging purposes, however, it is also the most expensive.
- Bovine (cow)-Bovine collagen is the most widely available form but it isn’t as effective as fish collagen.
- Porcine (pig)-Pig collagen is also very available but not as effective as fish collagen peptides.
- Fowl (chicken)-Chicken collagen peptides are known to be most effective for supporting cartridge in the body. However, they are not considered effective at raising overall body collagen levels.
Benefits of Collagen
Most common benefit: Type1 collagen
- Improved skin texture and firmness
- Reduced appearance of cellulite
- New hair and nail growth
- Improved circulation
Most common benefit: Type II collagen
- Improved joint flexibility and strength.
- Reduced joint pain
- Improved recovery from injuries and muscle repair
Personally, I started taking collagen a couple of months ago. I have seen dramatic improvements in my hair and nails especially. Also, my hair is growing faster than it ever has and seems to be much thicker than before. Also, my eyelashes are longer and thicker. I have tried all sorts of lengthening and volumizing mascaras. Let me tell you, none of them have worked nearly as well as collagen. This is the collagen that I take. I prefer it over other brands that I have tried. It’s a little more expensive than some but you get what you pay for in my opinion.
What about you? I’d love to hear your experiences with collagen supplementation. I truly believe that we could all see Health Benefits of Collagen.