Classic hummus is a great healthy snack paired with pita bread or veggies. There are some tasty store bought brands but none better than homemade in my opinion. I used to be intimidated by the thought of making my own at home…until I got up the nerve to try it. I make it often now. It’s sooo good! This is my favorite recipe so far. If you aren’t into making a batch yourself and want to try a store bought brand, I’d recommend Publix brand. It is my favorite store premade brand. Also, Sabra is a good choice. At any rate, you should give hummus a try!
Some people think that the chickpeas should be peeled first in order to achieve a perfectly smooth hummus. It does make the finished product super smooth like the store bought versions but, personally I never peel them. It takes too long in my opinion and the hummus still turns out plenty smooth for me. To peel them you can hold each chickpea between two fingers and pinch them. The skin will pop right off. Again, this takes some time.
Another method is to drain and pat dry the chickpeas, then stir in 1½ teaspoons for every 2 cups of chickpeas. Then warm them in the microwave or on the stove in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes, then rinse them with water in a large bowl three times. With each rinse, rub the chickpeas between your hands, and the skins will fall off and you can rinse them away.
- 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup Tahini Paste
- Juice from 12 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 or 4 tbs. reserved chickpea liquid
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve the liquid. Peel the chickpeas if you wish. Then place all ingredients except for the chickpea liquid into the food processor. Process until very smooth for at least 1 minute. Then add the reserved liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Give it a taste and add any addition salt or cumin.
- Transfer the Hummus to a bowl and drizzle some additional olive oil on top for garnish. You can also add a few sprinkles of paprika (I like smoked paprika) and parsley if you so desire.
- Enjoy! Hummus should be kept refrigerated.